Thursday, December 29, 2011

A list of all time greatest songs

The next topic I decided to go with is all time songs. It was a little bit harder to choose single songs because there's something about the completeness of an album that makes it easier to define as a great. But there are certain songs that stand out more than the rest. Here goes nothin'

8. The New Noise - Refused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzf1C6OazC4
When Refused titled their album The Shape Of Punk To Come it was almost like a prophecy. Although the style is a little raw, this album, in particular this song really paved the way for so many bands. The highlight of the song is the break near the end. They use the effect of a cheering crowd that give this song a sound unlike any other.

7. Apprehension - Manchester Orchestra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFZC5-0XwU8
As I mentioned in my previous post, this song, after years of listening to Manchester Orchestra, shot it's way right to the top of my all time favorite Manchester Orchestra songs. It's a shock to me that Andy Hull still has such a potency to his lyrics and song writing, but he remains one of the greatest songwriters of all time and is still going strong.

6. Carousels - mewithoutYou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0vzGU8RWw
As you're probably well aware, I'm a definite advocate of the earlier mewithoutYou albums. The song Carousels is a great representation of the greatness contained in the rest of the Catch For Us The Foxes album. I always appreciate lyrics that are completely honest, especially when the subject matter revolves around the weakness of man and the greatness of God. This song always reminds me of the overwhelming need for a Savior.

5. Introducing Palace Players - Mew http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz0aVur1F2A
So let me be honest, when my good friend whose musical taste I respect, told me to check this song out, I started to give it a listen. After about 30 seconds I wanted to shut it off. I was thinking "Mew, how far you've fallen..." But I thought "I have to listen all the way through." I am so glad I did. The song goes from abstract and intentionally messy to being one of the most catchy and well thought out pieces that Mew has written. Give this one a chance and listen all the way through. You'll be pleased.

4. The First Single - The Format http://vimeo.com/32046550
Although it doesn't sound completely country, it's got enough of the genre in it to give a really good feel and set it apart from other indie pop-rock. Any fan of The Format knows that this song should be dubbed the anthem for road trips or long car rides. Although they're no longer a band, The Format's great songs will continue to be some of my most favorite songs. And if you like them, then you can check out the post-Format band, fun.

3. Sweetness- Jimmy Eat World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU3KBI5qyEY
Jimmy Eat World is one of those bands that just has a sound unlike any other band I've ever really heard. I had heard a few of their other singles and was pretty much like "meh..." But after I heard Sweetness I went out and bought the album, and ever since it's been my number one favorite song of all time. The reason being is because even when the rest of the album was ruined by memories I made while listening heavily to the album. This was the only song not ruined by those sad moments in my life. It's always a great listen and has such a strong melody.

2. Simple and Clean - Utada Hikaru http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7xRFC4fX7Y
Now you may be asking yourself "A J-POP SONG AS NUMBER TWO?!?! ARE YOU NUTS?!?!" Well no, I'm not crazy. The reason I chose this song is because this is one of the VERY few songs that I could play on repeat, alternating between English and Japanese for at least thirty minutes....on just the one song. I don't know if it's the great mixing, the background noises, or the one of the most infectious melodies of all time, but this song is almost like crack in auditory form. Also it's the theme song for such a great game....you can't beat that.

1. Jesus - Brand New http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_iNdbPvrYk
This is quite possibly one of the easiest calls on mine or anyone else's part that could be made. If you've never heard this song you absolutely must listen to it! Any song that can maintain the same melody throughout and hold your attention deserves high regard. Combined with the crescendo at the end, emotion of Jesse Lacey, and the incredible lyrics make this a no-brainer. Since I could gush about this song for hours, I'll stick to just posting some of the lyrics that always make me examine my own life.

I know you're coming in the night like a thief
But I've had some time, O Lord, to hone my lying technique
I know you think that I'm someone you can trust
But I'm scared I'll get scared and I swear I'll try to nail you back up
So do you think that we could work out a sign
So I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try
I know you're coming for the people like me
But we all got wood and nails
And we turn out hate in factories

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home